Notice: Waterloo Street closure
In February, the Government announced the phased easing of lockdown. Birmingham City Council is keen to support retailers, hospitality businesses and Business Improvement Districts in their efforts to reopen the Highstreet in a safe and secure manner, providing a process to create outdoor spaces for hospitality to operate.
On the 5th March 2021, Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP, Secretary of State, wrote on behalf of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to instruct in the supporting of the reopening of outdoor hospitality. In line with this instruction, Birmingham City Council with support from Colmore BID and Retail BID, will be implementing measures to support the businesses within the area of Colmore Row, Waterloo Street and the event space of Victoria Square.
A brief summary of the proposals are as follows:
- Prohibition of motor vehicles between the hours of 11am – 11pm for spill out areas along Colmore Row from the junction of Bennetts Hill to Waterloo Street at the junction of Bennetts Hill
- Suspension of all on street parking on Colmore Row from the junction of Bennetts Hill to Waterloo Street at the junction of Bennetts Hill
- Installation of new signage
- Installation of new road markings
- Installation of hostile vehicle mitigation in order to create a safe environment for the spill out measures introduced to support outdoor hospitality
- Providing outdoor seating in Victoria Square
The scheme will come into effect from 12th April 2021.
Once in effect Colmore Row and Waterloo Street will be fully pedestrianised between 11am and 11pm. After 11pm there will be access for taxis and loading only.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.