Paving the Way for a Cleaner City: How Your BID is Contributing to Clean Air Day
13 June 2023
Did you know that air pollution causes up to 36,000 deaths in the UK every year?
It’s no wonder that both the World Health Organisation and the UK government recognise that air pollution is the largest environmental health risk we face today.
The startling statistic on air pollution is a key message from Clean Air Day, the UK’s largest air pollution campaign, which takes place on Thursday 15 June.
As a BID we have implemented a number of key initiatives and there are many ways you can contribute in creating a greener city.
What is Clean Air Day?
Clean Air Day serves a vital purpose in raising awareness and driving positive change. With air pollution being recognised as a significant environmental health risk, this campaign aims to tackle the pressing issue head-on.
The campaign aims to:
- Focus attention on air pollution
- Improve public understanding and increase levels of air pollution-busting behaviours including cycling and walking
- Showcase that a cleaner air future is both possible and desirable
- Demonstrate large-scale support for clean air to influence decision-makers to make positive change
By highlighting the detrimental effects of polluted air, the campaign educates individuals, communities, and policymakers on the urgent need for action.
How are we contributing to clean air?
Being located in the city centre means that there is a greater need to prioritise sustainability and to deliver greener areas. From higher levels of energy consumption to increased transport usage, we as a BID recognise the need to create a more attractive, connected, and sustainable community in the Colmore Business District and surrounding areas.
These issues have been highlighted in our BID4 Business Plan and we have addressed how best to tackle them through:
- Finding funding for District-wide greening projects
- Working in partnership with Birmingham City Council on the management of freight and delivery vehicles entering the District
- Creating media campaigns aimed at improving driver behaviour, promoting cycling and walking, highlighting how these can benefit individuals and transform the city
- Promoting the use of public transport
- Lobbying organisations on transport issues to improve access to the District
So, how can you play your part?
From encouraging more sustainable modes of transportation like cycling and walking, to advocating for reduced emissions and sustainable lifestyle choices, we are encouraging individuals to help to make a difference.
Through implementing key initiatives, we are supporting workers, residents and visitors to play their part in our green ambitions and environmental initiatives to create cleaner city air.
For Clean Air Day, we are encouraging you to:
- Consider greener modes of transport (including access to discounted bus travel, information on cycle-to-work schemes and offers on cycle hire)
- Join Birmingham City Council on Cycle for Clean Air Day to cycle to work, claim free coffee vouchers and participate in a Dr Bike session between 9am and 1pm.
- Promote the Clean Air Zone, introduced to Birmingham to tackle dangerous levels of city air pollution
Here at Colmore BID, we are committed to cleaner air by planting tonnes of flowers, introducing deep street cleaning, promoting sustainable movement through walking and cycling and much more!
More work needs to be done to bring cleaner air to the city, but we are dedicated to creating a cleaner climate and improving the District experience, with the hope that soon every day will be a clean air day.
Find out more about your Green District here.
Read more about our BID4 green ambitions here.