Birmingham Office Growth Helps Mills & Reeve Report Double Digit Increase In Turnover In Latest Financial Results
31 August 2023
National law firm, Mills & Reeve has had a successful year with a double digit turnover in the latest financial results supported by accolades and milestones with regional growth for their Birmingham office.
Turnover for 2022/23 grew by 12%, beating an ambitious planned growth target of 11.4%, to reach a record high of £147 million.
As a result of the strong financial performance the firm announced a record all staff bonus pool of £2.6 million, meaning staff received between £2,327 and £2,676 depending on length of service*.
The strong financial results follow another successful year at the firm which has achieved several significant milestones and awards:
- Achieving platinum Investors in People status, something only 6% of more than 50,000 organisations in the UK attain.
- Celebrating 20 years in the UK 100 Best Companies to Work For list.
- Electing a new senior partner, Charles Staveley, who is taking over from Justin Ripman, who is stepping down from the role in September after two terms in office ahead of his retirement as a partner in 2024. Managing partner Claire Clarke has been elected to continue for a third term.
- Increasing our partners to 158, the highest number ever. This includes three lateral hires to the Birmingham office, Simon Garbett (commercial disputes), Catriona Attride (private client), Claire Crawford (procurement), and the promotion of Jagjit Virdi (insurance) to partner.
- Making good progress on our leader in client experience strategy, with 89% of clients happy to recommend the firm.
- Publishing the firm’s first sustainability report.
Jayne Hussey, head of the Mills & Reeve Birmingham office, said: “As we celebrate 25 years of Mills & Reeve in Birmingham, we’ve seen substantial growth over the past year, not only financially but in the amount of new talent that has joined us.
“We’ve had 63 new starters join our office since 1 June 2022, including Simon Garbett, a high-profile commercial disputes lawyer who continues to build on the significant influence we have in the region on this particular area. We’ve also welcomed a number of trainees and newly qualified lawyers to join our growing sectors, such as private client and commercial.
“Despite the challenging environment the office continues to go from strength to strength. We look forward to many exciting developments coming down the track for the next year.”
Commenting on the financial performance, Claire Clarke, Mills & Reeve managing partner, said: “We’re very pleased to have achieved 12% growth in the current economic climate. Our overall strategy to be a leader in the four key areas of client experience, people experience, innovation and the sectors and markets we operate in, has helped us achieve this.
“We consider it a crucial part of our culture to share the firm’s financial success with all our people. Everyone contributes to the growth of our business in different ways and our all staff bonus is a great way to recognise this.
“This has been a particularly successful year for the firm, and our bonus is a way of thanking everyone across the firm for their hard work towards achieving, and beating, our ambitious growth target. That we also managed to secure our first ever platinum Investors in People accreditation is a real testament to everyone helping to make the firm a place where people thrive and others want to join.”